2005/06/06

Nomenclature

In the words of our irrepressible pride of the English language, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".
That just serves as an intro; I'm not going to get into the linguistic side of things. But there certainly is something to think about in our own lives; how closely do we identify with our own names, and/or how actively do we seek to change them? That distinction is sometimes made between one's birth-name, and nicknames, nuances that denote varying levels of familiarity.
And before we continue, I just have to add this because it's been bothering me of late: when introducing two people, no matter which order you do it in, always say the person's birth-name first, then followed by any prefered nicknames. Someone, and I won't say whom, made the grevious error of reversing the order, thereby thoroughly confusing me and consequently, retarded my eagerness to better acquaint myself with him.
Anyways, back to names. I, for example, am very sensitive to names. I may not know the meaning of most names, but I do err on the side of propreity than presumption. "Joseph" is the most commonly accepted form to address me, while "Joey" requires a few more stipulations. "JT" is also acceptable, but only to appease incorrigible parties to whom presumed familiarity is a way of life. Imagine the fun I would have if I actually had a title... (e.g. Doktor, Sir, Marquis, Duke, etc.)
How is it with you? Or rather, how aware are you with your own name(s)? Or more importantly, how careful are you when you use another's name? Whether subconscious or not of the speaker, would you as the listener find it more intimate and personal if addressed with your name in addition to a salutation? How much more personal is "good night, Joseph" than "g'night~"?
I realize that such precise etiquette is quite antiquated, but is its current disuse a sign of evanescence, or rather, that it is becoming progressively internalized and subconscious? Would that we had patronymics as in Russian!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like using people's names. I would much rather say "Good night, Joseph" than just "night". And I sometimes do; but not too often. One thing I noticed, and it may be just my own paranoya/insecurity that made me conclude what I did. It appears, when I'd be talking to a girl on MSN and used a lot of "Hey Amy" (let's use Amy as a name) and "Good night, Amy", that I appear more "interested in that way" in the person than I really am.

To be honest, this opinion (and because of it - habbit of not using the form) formed in high school, some time before I stopped caring what people think about me. You bring up a good point, and perhaps I will start using people's names more from now on. I did read somewhere that there's no nicer sounding word to a person than their name...

Good day, Joseph.