2009/03/12

Oriental Mysteries

A popular myth that may not necessarily be so false, is the idea that in general, Asians don't visibly age as quickly as Caucasians. As a 'CBC' (Canadian-Born Chinese), this is obviously something that I encounter more often than perhaps the average North American.

Having said so, I have found that it certainly applies to me, in the encounters that I've had with others (Canadian or otherwise). Profs usually think I'm significantly younger than I am (they usually guess about -6 yrs) while peers will guess just a bit older (maybe -3 yrs). I think a lot of this is obviously context-induced; most undergraduates are obviously between the 17~23 range.

Whether I'll be able to enjoy this false visage of youth is something to be discovered in 2010, once I've graduated and waited the statistical period that university graduates wait before employment. However, I think that the myth itself deserves some more attention.

While I obviously don't agree that Asians have this propensity for longevity, I certainly think that one's personal experiences will colour the way they interpret new experiences. And when one looks at the range of facial features in Caucasians contrasted with those of Asians, it should bear little surprise to learn that Caucasians find Asians more youthful-looking.

Worded another way, our social (or perhaps our family/ethnic) experiences affect the way we're able to properly interpret the aging signs in different groups of people. Although, I think it must also be said (as hinted above) that context plays a huge role in guessing age. The way I dress, for example, is certainly more typical for a 19~22 year old than it may be for someone slightly older. Then again, each new generation wave brings with it new fashion trends as well, so maybe I'm just being normal.

One last thing that I think needs to be said is that even among Asian circles, I often get wild guesses about my age. (And it's always younger than my actual age! I'm hoping that's a sign of my excellent health, as opposed to an askance reference to my lack of social maturity.) When I was 17 or 18, I was once in conversation with another boy my age, who tried to go beyond the typical "you look X yrs old" by qualifying it with specific clues. In his words, my "skin looks younger, but [my] eyes seem much older". That was quite the Doctor Who moment for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can actually imagine you to be older than you actually are because you remind me of my Grade 9 teacher sometimes :p

Joseph said...

Haha... Your gr. 9 teacher, eh? In a good way or bad way? (and how specifically? :3)

Georg said...

Bonjour Joseph,

As you seem to be in linguistics, have a look at my blog where I made a post showing an advertisement in phonetic English.

Could be you like it.

Cheers
Georg