2005/07/19

The Apostrophe

In many young writers today do I see a (what I like to call the) Apostrophe Catastrophe. Below are some (but by no means complete) list of rules for when an apostrophe should be used.

When some of a word or phrase is omitted (including contractions). e.g.:
Good morning - g'morning - 'morning
I was born in 1983 - I was born in '83 - 'born in '83
I have gone - I've gone

To form the plural of numerals and acronyms. e.g.:
In the eighteen hundreds - In the 1800's
I own many compact discs - I own many CD's.
There are so many chief executive officers in my company - there are many CEO's in my company

Possessives (of singular nouns) e.g.:
This book belongs to Stacy - this is Stacy's book
Listen to the words of Jesus - listen to Jesus' words
We're the top radio station in Toronto - we're Toronto's top radio station

Possessives (of plurals) e.g.:
All my friends have broken computers - all my friends' computers are broken
Men have few thoughts - men's thoughts are few
Sinophiles have freaky behaviour that scare me - sinophiles' freakish behaviour scare me

Although the people to whom I'm mostly directing this post probably don't read, I do hope that you, dear reader, will have found this to be at least a little interesting, if not educational.

No comments: