2005/07/13

Carpe Diem

"Live every day as if it were your last, for one day it will be."

Intellectually, I think we can all understand and appreciate the weighted meaning behind these words. That we all take life for granted, no amount of planning or plotting will prevent the eventuality of death.
But how many of us actually heed these words? I myself, after some time alone have given some thought to the matter, and I've realised that no matter how many times I'm reminded of these cute phrases, they never really hit home until I myself have a near-death experience. (Of course, it could be argued that those who don't live life fully aren't really living, so really I just need a "near-life" experience.)
How many days have I wasted this summer on pure nothing? Meaningless conversations online, random blog stalking, drawings without a future or purpose, playing piano without focus or determination. And all for what?
Even if I were to be "productive", if I truely practised piano diligently, if I went through my entire list of books to read, if I managed to improve and polish all those languages I've shown interest in, for what would it all be?
What is our purpose in life? Upon which are the foundations of our society? In the end, most of what we do in life are just chasings after the wind.
Just some food for thought.

3 comments:

b.p. said...

Purpose? Solomon, the wise one who sees a meaningless life apart from God, would say,

"But, my child, be warned: There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!

Here is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is the duty of every person. God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad."

(Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 NLT)

Anonymous said...

Define standards and morals for oneself set short-term and long-term goals and try to have fun achieving them. Review the standards, morals and goals every now and then and redefine if necessary. Reaching the goals I set and living up to the standards and morals I defined for myself is my purpose in life. I think.

Anonymous said...

Joey, have you ever heard the sunscreen song?? ^^