2008/01/30

Fancy and Finery

Intro to English Lit. Prof was remarking on the different ways in which those in the sciences and those in the humanities work and think. And while I agree that there are certainly trends in the behavioural patterns between those of either camp, I don't think that stressing such differences, even if to say that it's better to have both, is beneficial. It is only because we continue to label and pigeon-hole people into these territories that separatists continue to perpetuate the rift between the two realms. Human beings have an inherent Grand Unifying Mind, which would allow them to be equally successful in either field. As far as I can make out, both schools require the same sort of logic. I sincerely fail to see where the approach to one is different to the other. Anywhoo..

Another curious affect I've noticed from taking my crazy 6 courses of English Literature, is how trivial and hollow certain forms of entertainment become. I can't watch shows without analysing the character relations, and how they might echo certain themes in the not-yet determined motifs in the storyline. I blame British Literature 1885-1918.

No comments: