2008/01/27

Meativore?

Apparently, for most people whom I don't directly inform, my preference for meat (in either sense of the term) has been constantly questioned. "Is he vegetarian or not? I could have sworn I've seen him eat a hotdog before... But it might have been a veggie dog." And also, "He says he's fruity... does he really know what that means? Also, is it normal for a guy to make gay jokes about himself so often?"

As for the dietary preference, I've apparently exuded a vegetarian-type personality long before I made the decision to actually be vegetarian. (But contrary to belief, I'm a practical vegetarian, instead of the moral vegetarian; I abstain for health reasons, not out of any sentiments of kinship with the lower mammals.) But then, I'll also eat organic meats.

So what would this imply for my other preference? "40% gay" to go with my "80% vegetarian"? Unfortunately, you'll not get a straight answer here! (no pun intended)

I will, however, share a little secret: my ambiguity for the latter is intentional. Why? Two reasons: (1) it keeps undesirables away, and if confronted with one, I can always use the plausible excuse that I run the other way (or is it "swing" the other way?); (2) it's a cheap preliminary way to keep only the friends who wouldn't be so insensitive as to only forge friendships over something so superficial. (Can't really do much about the looks though. Although I'd only consider getting contacts 'cause glasses fog up too much when I go out/inside in winter, as now.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha i always enjoy reading your posts. they make me chuckle.
yeah, i think i've almost completely cut meat out of my diet as well, though i'm not, as you say, a moral vegetarian. ALSO i found out that livestock contributes 18% of the world's co2 output- 40% more than cars/trains/planes etc. :< and most of the meat is going to north america (blech)