2008/02/08

Cohabitants

One thing I was reminded of when I moved back to University, was getting used to living with new people. Different living habits, sleeping schedules, standard of hygiene...

There should be some sort of national health service announcement regarding the dangers of listening to amplified lower frequencies for extended periods of time. The number of males who voluntarily (and I assume ignorantly) decrease their hearing everyday might benefit from such intelligence. And there might be a revolution in the theatre industry as well! Then everybody will be able to go see movies at reasonable volumes.

On the subject of people though, I'm often seeing how others interact with each other. So far as I can currently imagine, there are three basic types of people: those who inspire, those who encourage, and those who disgust. Of course, this is all relative to a given individual, so results will vary between people. :)

After watching various videos of Kenneth Williams on youtube, I started to think about my own relationship with my friends. I'm conscious and aware of the sort of person I am -- at least, to the people I know. The ultimate person seems to be he who can draw the best qualities in people. Someone who is filled with light or bright or some sort of positive energy. It draws people toward him, and he can in turn cause others to do things better.

And then there's me. I either build delicate bonds between people I deem "worthy" (usually through some merit of information or interest), or I sever all possible modes of conduct with those I deem "undesirable" (generally those who lack any intelligence or ability).

But it is this classic character flaw which usually draws supporters from the bad guy (me) to the hero (whoever my arch-nemesis might be). Knowing this, I wonder how I can possibly change to be more accepting of people. After all, mere tolerance does nothing. It seems to be a popular byword in American politics when describing the improvement between ethnic groups, but I think *acceptance* is really the word they're looking for. The idea isn't to merely build an immunity to the foreign influences of the differing groups, but the find a way to integrate them all into a grand national community.

Meanwhile, Valentine's Day is soon upon us. Wo ist mein Herz?

No comments: