2008/09/28

Tempus Fugit

Despite having never taken a Latin course, it would seem that what I thought were common phrases aren't as easily recognised by the average university English student.

In the dining room of my current residence (wherein I live with three other people; all uni students, and all Canadian-born Caucasians), there's a whiteboard, where we write random notes to each other, or things of interest. The fall term having just started, we decided to clear the board of the old junk to leave room for new fun. I then decided to do something very cliché, and wrote: "[Tabula Rasa]," centered at the bottom of the board. The irony, of course, is that by writing "tabula rasa", the tabula is no longer rasa.

But apparently, the male roommate didn't make any comment, and the two female housemates thought it was a food term. It was there for a month, and nobody said anything. :( So what I hoped would be a nerdtastic joke turned into a genuine mystery for the audience.

Sometime later, in my Japanese 302 class, we were reading an article describing the perspective people have on time. (eg. "for some people, waking up 'early in the morning' means 04:23~05:27, whereas for others, it's 05:37~06:19.") We were discussing some of the terms used, and how we would translate them into English. Now, despite this being a 3rd-year language course, most of the students were in arts, and otherwise reasonably competent in English. One of the terms, which was glossed as "time flies", was under discussion, and the class explored some of the other possible phrasings available in English. Thinking I'd make a joke, I decided to suggest tempus fugit, but it seems the rest of the class didn't react at all. So not only did they not think it funny, they simply didn't get it at all. ...Or maybe I just didn't speak loudly enough.

Now, I know that Latin phrases are in sharp decline nowadays, but I thought that more of them were still floating around in the aether of modern times than our current undergraduate population would suggest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah, i may have been an english major, but i sure wasn't a latin one.
but even still, my english is terrible.

when Microsoft is now the tool for spelling and grammar, how can we expect too much? :)

Anonymous said...

learned tabula rasa from psych (in relation to a mind of a newborn), but dont kno tempus fugit tho..

-air

Joseph said...

BP: haha... true enough! I remember when I was working at a tutoring centre, and all the materials that they provided [and wrote themselves] were under American spelling, because the guy who made them didn't know about MS Word's spell-check language settings.

Air: haha.... oh yah. One of the theories regarding how people learn, right? I thought "tempus fugit" was used by one of the elven units in warcraft though. Or did he only say "time is of the essence"? Hrmm....

Georg said...

Hallo Joseph,

Latin might be in sharp decline but there are still plenty of people who appreciate the language and its spirit.

I have not learnt Latin either but it has always had a strange attraction to me.

Hear this one: Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere = if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Great, even now, 2000 years later.

When I am working in the basement on something, I always keep this mind.
Cheers
Georg