2008/11/18

The Paths Ahead

I'm on schedule, as far as revisions go, and in less than a year I'll be graduated with an honours undergraduate university degree. On the one hand, it's a cause for celebration, but on the other hand, I don't know what I'd like to do...

My Japanese prof. had the brilliant suggestion of going as an artisan's apprentice in Kyoto to learn one of the classical arts -- which I totally wouldn't mind, especially since I've already had painting/calligraphy training from my grandmother. But while I enjoy doing it, would it even be possible for me to become an apprentice? I understand that some of the more traditional schools have barely budged from the medieval concept of patrilinear succession; outsiders wouldn't be allowed to inherit the school. (Not that I'd want to anyway, but if you're going to study something, you may as well be good at it, right?)

Meanwhile, there's also the possibility of grad school, and of course, there's also working for the government. Lots to worry about. But a step at a time, right? Which for the next few weeks means getting several essays drafted, polished and printed. Until December!

1 comment:

Georg said...

Hallo Joseph,

If that is not a secret, just let me know what you are studying. Without that info your last post is difficult to understand.

Georg