2009/01/09

Kennen und Machen

...and the reader responses were astounding! I guess that means I don't really have the 5+1 readers that I thought I had. Which is fine, it gives me more freedom to write whatever I want. :)

Recently, I've been sacrificing certain hours of my sleep for entertainment (in the form of streaming TV shows online). On Tuesday night, this meant watching 5 episodes of My Own Worst Enemy. Last night, it meant nearly the entire first season of Natsume Yuujinchou. Meanwhile, there are still two Shakespeare plays and a long Whitman poem waiting to be read. I think the problem is, I'm still in vacation mode. But all my courses are turning out to be pretty interesting though.

The extraordinary thing is, the entire time that I was watching episode after episode (a process that wasn't passive at all) and looking at the clock, I kept telling myself that I should be sleeping, or at the very least, doing the readings for my courses. And yet I was lying in bed, filling my mind with fantasies of espionage and the supernatural. Did I know better? Sure, of course. And yet, although at every moment between 10:00pm and 5:30am, why isn't it that I didn't turn off the lights and fall asleep? Surely there must be a reason.

I find that there is a huge difference between "knowing better" and having the strength or discipline to actually follow through with one's knowledge/wisdom. In fact, I have nothing but the highest respect for people who are able to discipline themselves to a mechanical level. (Although sometimes it freaks me out when they'd turn everything into a routine.)

My point though, is basically that although most of us have a fair amount of knowledge on how things should be done, most of us don't necessarily go through with them. I would even go so far as to argue that this is in itself a form of intelligence. After all, pragmatically speaking, what use is your knowledge unless you use it? I think this has clear applications beyond the maintanence of one's health as related to sleep, or the regular readings for school. I find that it also applies to the interactions between humans, where we *know* it's better to, say, seek immediate contact for a quick apology and patch things up, and yet history is rife with examples where fathers have died at odds with their sons, or couples permanently separated by pride and obfuscated misunderstandings.

So why don't we smarten up and actually follow through with this obvious wisdom? Why do we find it so difficult to employ our knowledge towards creating healthier lifestyles, healthier relationships, and a healthier planet? Why do we get so blinded by greed and pride that we fail to take responsibility for our actions against ourselves, against others, and against the planet? I think this is the point that separates true proponents of alternative ways of thinking from those who spout nonesense just for the sake of intellectual individuality. Sure, it's easy to say "there is no God" when the dominant ideology is God-fearing, but how easy would it be to espouse the same view when your response could lead to the potential deaths of millions? When the stakes are high, most fall silent.

Semi-heavy post, I guess. But if you know better, do it! Help contribute to the overall intelligence of the human race. :)

3 comments:

Georg said...

Hallo Joseph,

Very interesting and worthwhile thoughts.

You say "why we don't smarten up...".
In cases like those you mention, it takes two up-smartened good-willers. One is decidedly not enough.

I understand you live in Canada. Are the people there as religious as in the USA? You seem to say so by the words "dominant ideology".
Here in France as well as in most parts of Europe, religion is on the decline. Probably we are a bit fed up with this, over a thousand years of force feeding......

Your blog deserves many readers. Commenting the comments regularly would help.

Georg

Joseph said...

Hi Georg,

(is your name pronounced "gei-org" or "jorj"?)

I think both Canada and USA are largely christian by tradition, in a historical sense, but from my experience, Canada is significantly more quiet about religion than USA. For example, Prime Ministers aren't required to be devout Christians in order to win votes (although in Canada we don't directly vote for our Prime Minister anyway...) And in general national discourse, I find that Canada is more silent as well. Our money has no mention of God, for example. (As opposed to the American "in God we trust".

(Out of curiosity, how did you come to read my blog in the first place? :P)

Georg said...

Hallo Joseph,

Well, I am German but living in France with my French wife. So it's Georg, every letter pronounced not Jorge for the Spaniards.

How I did find your blog? Don't really remember but I think I first hit on your other blog where you said something about Latin. Could be I found you through catchwords, precisely "Latin".

Georg