2003/06/17

未來如何

. . .Finally, I get to play! But, it's kinda late now. And I don't have the money or the resources to go out and purchase novels. :(
So I'm stuck here writing my blog (which I personally find to be quite a vulgar and ugly word) and later on, quite possibly working in my sketchbook. Haven't really used my artistic side for quite a while. And I'm also becoming frightfully introverted! Ahh!
. . .Today, like the past 5 days, have been quite uneventful, albeit productive. But I'm not sure if I'm eating enough; I just figure I'm still alive, and that's good enough. Especially since I don't have the time to work out, my intake is delightfully less than, say, a certain male model friend of mine. :P
. . .On a lighter note, it's good to know that my imagination hasn't died... just my wit and my use of irony, understatements, litotes and sarcasm. *sigh* I swear, it's Waterloo... My roommates being prime examples. Half of what I say they either don't understand or misunderstand. An easy example was this one time, when I said, "It's tasteless to wear one's emotions naked on one's face," to which he said, "wear... ... ... emotions... ... ?" Emaciated Engineer... *cough* anyways... Actually, I think I've solved my own little riddle. Because I'm not interacting with enough people who care for language and/or enjoy the humour that English has to offer, I think I've automatically dumbed down my language in order to be vaguely understood by the average computer/engineer/mathie. Of course, this only leaves professors, but I can't very well argue with them. So no fun for me here in Waterloo. :(
. . .What I need to do is get my hands on some Shakespeare. My hope is that by reading him, my use of language will automatically elevate itself to a more idiomatic/figurative form.
. . .Suddenly, I'm reminded of several things that I must do tomorrow. I gotta go to Algebra class tomorrow, and proctor for the Japanese midterm, and look into getting Traditional Chinese taught here in Waterloo... It'd be really cool if my mother taught it; She'd finally get the recognition she deserves for her more-than-abundant knowledge of the Chinese language and literature.
. . .And speaking of Chinese, I'm wondering what my odds are right now for studying/living in Taiwan or HK for 8 months for the new school year. Or if I stay in Toronto, would it be possible to take a German course there so that I'm still eligible for the exchange to Germany in autumn 2004. Of course, that also somewhat depends on when the Matthews plan on having their sabbatical. (August or January? January=8-month exchange for me. :D)
. . .And why, in God's name, do I want to do all this international travelling, you ask? Simple. In order to pursue my masters/PhD in linguistics, I have to be certifiably fluent in two languages other than my native tongue (which, in my case, is English). And why stop at two? The theory is, I can pick up German and a touch of French in Germany, since it's oh, so close to France... And if I get to go to Taiwan, I could pick up Japanese in addition to Mandarin because today's Taiwanese youth have this strange fascination with the Japanese. (Must be the stationary.)
. . .Yah, it's a long shot. But at the very least, I'd hope to learn German and Mandarin. Japanese, Cantonese and French would be bonuses. And if I mastered all of those, I'd have 6 languages under my belt. Uwahaha...
. . .Well anyways, I wanna go draw now...

No comments: