2005/04/15

Lunar Lullaby

Dreams that stretch across time,
A love as deep as the ocean.
Despite the eternity of pain,
will you still be waiting for me?
Aeons pass, and yet here we are.
The world may change,
but will you still be here by my side?
A love so fierce it blinds me.
Where are you now?
Spring has come; the world reborn.
Only the moon remains the same,
A silent reminder of times long past.
Whither again will we meet?

Semi-sentimental mood right now... Just read the first two volumes of Gekka no Kimi (月下の君) And gosh, am I hooked! I was enjoying Love Monster, but this is just one a totally different level! Not that I can identify with any of the characters... (I've never been a girl, and I've never been a pretty boy chased by a horde of girls cuz of my good-looks) But having a little knowledge about The Tale of Genji (源氏の物語), I was already captivated by the allure of that time in the past when culture and refinement were the highlight of society. And love is a pretty international theme, so everybody can relate to that on some level. It's such a nice, but seemingly tragic story. I have no idea what the ending is gonna be, but this soap-opera-esque story is definitely one that I'm gonna be following closely. Despite what happens, I can't help but follow the two lives of the hero and heroine of the story.
OMG, I'm such a nerd. The art is admittedly captivating and it really gets to me (in a good way). I should be studying for math. And after Saturday I'll have all the time in the world to pursue more leisurely pastimes.
But in anycase, Gekka no Kimi. I just wish I had access to the Japanese manga... The English scantalations (thus far found via http://www.shoujomagic.net) is kinda slow and several volumes behind the most recent releases in Japan. Not that I'm a japanophile or anything, I just generally prefer things in their original form. So much gets lost in translation.
So yah, if any of you out there have money to splurge and feel like showering me in materialistic love, don't hesitate to grab me the first 6 (or 7?) volumes of the japanese manga. But all of you who're reading this are probably more realistic than that. Haha... I'm giddy. It's past 5am.
Originally, when I was reading the translated version of The Tale of Genji, I couldn't identify at all with Genji. I couldn't approve of his actions nor appreciate the story. And while I still don't like Genji, this japanese comic certainly has me reconsidering reading that mammoth of a novel again, if only to more fully appreciate the subtleties and beauty of that period in history.
I should sleep now... hopefully I'll get to dream about pretty boys making vows of unrequitted love. Haha... I hope I get enough studying done for my exam on Saturday...
BTW, try not to read too deeply into that prose-type thing at the top. I made it up on the spot, and I'm sure it won't make much sense to me in the morning... Well, g'night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you actually read these, but....

I really like your poem! :) good stuff! keep it up!

I can't say that i relate to this manga thingy you speak of, but I've become quite fond of The Orchid Thief! And when you come home we can watch Adaptation together....after my exam of Tuesday...and after I finish the book and the screenplay...

But yes, keep up the writing! :)