2005/05/25

Once upon a time, ...

On the most random trip to the local library with a friend, I ended up borrowing 4 books from the Foreign Languages section. Two in German and two in Japanese. Of the two in German, one is called Deutsche Volksmärchen (German folk tales), and the other is called Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben (A Time to Live and a Time to Die). The Japanese titles are 《雲ながれゆく》 (Clouds Flow by), and 《海外からみた日本》 (Japan Perceived Overseas).
One thing I noticed is that Germans don't seem to be very big on table of contents (at least in the two books I managed to borrow). I guess it's good in the sense that it forces the reader to go in a linear fashion, but on the other hand, it's harder to gauge what exactly the book is about. I'm interested in fairytales, so Deutsche Volksmärchen automatically intrigued me, but Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben only had an interesting title (consider Ecclesiastes 3:2).
A quick google search reveals that Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben is a reaaaaally deep book. And the language isn't easy either. I wonder how far I'll get. Of course I'm going to start on the Fairytales book first. ^^
After the long months of studying German, I think my [lack of] effort are finally paying off. I pick up a book and recognise how much more I'm supposed to be able to understand, but can't because of my own idiocy (in time management/study habits).
Meanwhile, job interview today at 1:00pm. I had three hours of sleep; woke up this morning at 3:30am. Tried to go back to sleep but gave up at 4:45am. Now that it's 7:35am, I'm tired. Typical. Well, wish me luck!

No comments: