2004/05/08

Stupid

. . .Why can't I stick to my simple decisions to block out certain people from my life? Who am I to judge people? Nobody. But surely I'm at liberty to choose my friends and surely it is within my right to decide whom I confide in. If people don't want to open up to me, fine.
. . .Cynicism has some cause. Women are a popular cause for many men's cynicism. Not that the two are related in any way. Intelligence does not equal emotionaly intelligence does not equal maturity. As I'm quickly discovering, the novelty of such young intelligece is wearing quite thin when compared to the constant crassness of consciously constructed cuteness. I use subjunctives as much as any man, and in fact even more so, but it bugs the *bleep* out of me when I need to know details and all I get is "I don't know?". *BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP*!!! If one's going to invite me to sth., at least have the decency to give me a rough time frame, an approximate guest list and a list of possible activities and locations. I may be an increasingly social creature of late, but that doesn't mean that I have the luxury of an entire day just to wait for a last-minute phone call. I realize by reading this blog, my number of invitations to social outings will be drastically reduced, but is it really too much for me to ask for common decency? At the very least, when I make plans with people, I give a rough idea -- afternoon or evening, karaoke, movie, friend's house or bbt, just the two of us or a group of three or more. I don't deal with idiocy like, "wanna do sumthin' next week? dunno when, dunno what, dunno with whom. juss sumtin."
. . .I realize that the notion of etiquette is dead in this world, as is God, or so Nietzsche would say. And as a certain radicalist ex-friend would say, one should just forget the restrictive conventions of the past and accept that people aren't perfect. Sounds good, except that that just gives people more leyway to offend others.
. . .Yes, we are human. Yes, we aren't perfect. But should that be an excuse to lower our standards? Would you shrug off a railway accident as "human error" just because in that one crutial split second while the teenager was dashing across the railway, the driver was blinking and didn't see him? Personally, I think it's only by having high standards that we can hope to improve as a society. People are sloth - a fact that history seems to prove over and over and over again. Despite our greatest efforts, there will always be factors that will retard or deter our aims. To use the analogy of a projectile, if one were to aim straight at the target, gravity would pull down the projectile lower than where one aimed. Similarly, it's only by aiming higher that one can hope to maintain a reasonable society. If one's aim is already low, just imagine how much more easily one's aims will be detered...