2005/02/02

Wilde, Shakespeare, Blake

Monday was so much fun. And yes, it's wednesday morning now. School = busyyyyyyyyyyy.
Anyways... On Monday we had Language Exchange(LE) and this week's theme was poetry! Yey! So we introduced both English and Japanese poetry and literature to the students, as it was a fairly even mix between the English and Japanese students. After the short introduction (including a brief history of the inception of the Japanese Haiku into North American culture), we broke off into small groups to look over a few poems (hand outs) and explain them to our partners (we paired off exchange students with English-speaking students). Which would work, except...
The brilliant mind who made these handouts (knowing that the audience would be Japanese exchange students), brought the works of such poets as Oscar Wilde and William Blake. I mean, Shakespeare is so much easier to understand than Wilde! (well, Shakespeare's sonnet nr. 18 and 138 are so much easier to understand than what else they had)
Now, I know I'm slightly enamoured by the Engish language and all that it contains, but I'm still far from being an English expert. Even so, maybe because most of the English kids there were in CS or Math, I found that many of them either couldn't, or gave very poor explainations which just ruined the beauty of these poems. In Wilde's case, it's sorta understandable, since his was loaded with words that most people wouldn't know (e.g. empery), and allusions of whom I can only take to be figures from Greek myth.
But despite my having to constantly jump back and forth between groups to help translate the English poems to the Japanese, I still had a lot of fun. I rarely get to do poetry anymore, now that school's getting all crazy and chaotic.
OATUS (on a totally unrelated subject), this house is always FREEZING. And our gas bill is still fairly high. I think we need to look into some better insulation for our windows. And there are no guys here in UW who're fun to play with. Booh... they're either boring or brutish. Some of them are both! yey. Thankfully, I'm going back to Toronto this weekend. Then I'll get to girltalk the entire weekend. =D

No comments: