2004/01/28

Fallen Aristocracy

. . .And already can I see the ashes of the old world flow in the winds of change... Does my conservatism make me pretentious? The concept of classes (not to say that I encourage financial discrimination) doesn't seem to exist anymore either... ... where's the notion of servitude??
. . .This is either a sign of the people in this tri-city area, or of our society as a whole, but today's service at Tim Hortons was atrocious! "Hi," says I, "may I have a soup combo please."
"Wut?!" he grunts, in due savage manner.
"May I have a soup combo please," I repeat.
"wut do u want with dat?" the neanderthal manages to mumble. At this point, I was a bit put off; normally, one would then ask first what sort of bread I'd like (mini-bagette, etc.), then the type of drink, then the type of donut.
"sorry?" I ask politely, slightly surprised at this breech of protocol. Instead, this troglodyte rudely repeats himself in a louder coarse voice, "Wut do U want with Dat?"
Thankfully, another lady was there, who was obviously more experienced, and took down the rest of my order.
"$3.58 please," he manages to articulate. Noticing that my wallet was already heavy with change, I started to fish out the 58 cents which would accompany the $5-note. After about a good 15~30seconds of change-chasing, he manages to speak English yet again with "please please please", urging me to hurry up. The nerve of that peasant! N'er before have I ever experienced such poor service! In haste, I first gave him $5.38.
"Uhh... it's three FIFTY-eight," he says.
"Yah," I said, "If you weren't rushing me..."
"I wasn't rushing" he mumbles. I give him the remaining 20 cents and coldly pick up my food and walk straight out in icy anger.
... and now I'm blogging about it. =)
. . .Does that make me horribly conservative, pretentious, old-fashioned, or just prissy?

No comments: