2004/04/09

Languages

. . .Another rant. Or I think it might be. 'cuz it's late. And I'm still up. (sorta). Anyways... psyching myself into studying for german/calc. sorta gave up on the stats. *shrugs* Sorta makes one wonder why I wanna learn other languages. I mean, it's not like I have trouble communicating in English. (well, I certainly hope not!)
. . .German. Such an inflected language. Sometimes get the accusative and the genitive cases mixed up, but that's ok. I mean, things don't always translate well, even between two languages like English and German. But I've been wondering -- why do I "need" to learn other languages? Even if I could master German to the level my English is, can I still do the same for Mandarin? Japanese? French?
. . .Is this some subconcious attempt at hiding my thoughts, feelings, etc? To be able to "think" in different languages so that people can't understand me? Nobody likes to be easily read. But nobody likes to be entirely invisible either... At least, I don't. Learning other languages is cool though. Wrapping one's mind around different grammatical (and consequent conceptual) implications that language has on thought is really fun for me. And learning German is making it so much easier for me to understand/read middle English texts. Even the king james version of the bible sounds more natural. lol. I can see why they used "thine" instead of "thy" or why "thou couldst" is ok but "I couldst" isn't. Ah, from a time when verbal conjugation in English was a little more labourous than just adding an "s" for the third-person singular.
. . .But alas, speaking of such things won't exactly help me pass my German final. I'm really gonna have to learn all that grammar that I missed in 201... having not taken the class and stuff. :S Not even sure how I'm even managing to stay in this 202 german class. :S I should pick up some children's book or sth. There's bound to be such resources in this area -- having such a strong German population. Hrrmm... And studying for calc is really about minimizing the number of marks I lose on the exam cuz really, there's not chance in H. that I'm gonna be able to pass it with flying colours.
. . .lalala... I think I'm too tired to be able to think clearly... my brain is really like, turning into mulsh. guhh... Only one more week, and I can relax. ^___^

No comments: