2004/03/24

Variance

. . .Lots of thinking; not enough praying. I think this might just be my first post relating to religion/beliefs. Perhaps because we've been taught in school to believe that avoidance of the subject is the best solution to co-existence. On that subject I'll speak another time. (As a side note, there was a $40 or $60 book in the UW bookstore called "The History of Christianity" or something like that, Oxford press, coloured illustrations, and mammoth sized. I'll probably get it, just to know exactly what all the fuss over denominations is all about. I'm a little more informed than I let on, but I try to be conciliatory...)
. . .Anyways. Math. Can't live life without. But I cannot live life *by* it either. Fine arts? First physical passion in life, but somehow, a career that might be frowned upon. Linguistics? Somewhat respectible, but with the computer-age of instant translations... English? I'm of Oriental descent -- what could I possibly offer to the field that the Americans and British don't already have? Literature? Not well-read enough. Computers? Hate CS. Poli-sci? Dangerous field. Sciences? Lack of interest. Psychology? Lack of personal agreement.
. . .In short, whatever "promising, bright" future people once foresaw in me has been quickly reduced to a smouldering pile of rubble. At this point in life, I do'nt really feel like continuing my struggle through UW... so I should make math a minor (which should only require another 2 courses or so), and 2 terms of IS to start/finish my thesis. Then I'm out of here! Sad that it took so long. And there's still the matter of what to *do* for my thesis. Have a novel published? Collection of short stories? But that's too literary for someone of my ability. All I have is a motley vocabulary; but I don't think I exactly possess a certain eloquance of speech or thought. I suspect that may be the reason I hide behind antiquated English. (Well, aside from the fact that I find older English prettier.)
. . .*Calculates*, so, if I manage to actually stick to this plan, I should finish in december 2004. Hrrmm... if that's the case, I'd better make it a graduation with 2 minors. LoL... Since IS is technically a 3-year program (though many people are in their thesis stages much longer than a year.)

No comments: