2003/10/30

Happy Happy?

. . .Yay! I finally got a job teaching English here! Not much; an estimated $32 a week. But all I want is pocket money anyways, right? And hopefully, if I do a good job, she'll tell her friends, who'll tell their friends, etc.
. . .My student seems to be quite curious about the world, but rather silent... the signs of a thinker! haha. And I get along with the mother great; we talked a lot about things not relating to my duties as a tutor. ^^
. . .So I'm feeling pretty happy. Or at least, that's what I would have been saying had it not been for earlier today. Whatever good feelings I had from last night were quickly obliterated from the events of this morning.
. . .Woke up at 6:15am, at the click of the alarm clock I forgot to set. Luckily, I was already somewhat semi-conscious at the time that my alarm clock was supposed to go off. Remembering the events from yesterday, coupled with the anticipation of catching a cartoon show at 6:30am, I quickly got out of bed and went to the washroom to brush my teeth. But as I passed the living room couch on my way to the bathroom, I noticed that the normally empty couch was occupied by the slumbering figures of my uncle-in-law and the 9-month old family dog.
. . .Drat! I thought to myself, now I'll never get to watch TV. But apparently, my bustling in the washroom made enough noise to wake my uncle-in-law and the dog. By the time I had come out of the washroom, both parties had retreated to the master bedroom.
. . .Yay! I thought to myself, I get to watch TV now! But no sooner had I sat down and turned on the TV when my aunt waked by and tersely and sharply ordered me to turn of the television because she'd be walking back and forth in front of the TV and didn't want to suffer any radioactive injury. Mentally scoffing at this stereotypically Chinese attitude, I reluctantly turn off the TV, thinking to catch at least the ending of that episode after my aunt would finish with her morning routine of watering the plants.
. . .After her third trip back from the plants, I figured she must have finished by then, and decided to turn the TV back on. She came out again and started yelling, "Joey! I already told you not to turn on the TV! I'm almost finished anyways!"
To which I replied, "Well, my show's almost over too!"
. . ."Joey! I've already told you many times! The radiation emissions of this TV is especially high!"
. . ."Well, a little radiation won't kill you!"
. . ."How dare you say something like that!!"
. . .And then there was a little battle of stares to determine who's will was stronger. I then remembered that I was staying at her house as a guest, and should this be allowed to continue, it would get back to my mother, who would be sure to be unhappy with the situation. So I rudely clicked the TV off, and storm back into my room to sulk and wonder how in the world I was planning on resolving this mess.
. . ."And he's always talking about how other people breech etiquette," my aunt yelled down the hallway as she raged toward the master bedroom.
. . .So yah. Things are better now; sorta talked out stuff... sorta.. I mean, with the whole Chinese 'older is superior' thing, I kinda lost out on the deal. And I'm not even sure if I'm happy that everything's settled cuz now she just maintains the idea that I'm just a kid. (What the gay.)
. . .Class went by in a blur, so nothing remarkable to mention there. Though hopefully tomorrow, teacher'll lend me some novels to read for Chinese practice. ^__^

No comments: