2003/10/22

Sinophile

. . .Am I? No. But now that I have my own Chinese blog, I don't really have an urge to write in Chinese anymore here. hehe. So kudos to all my readers.
. . .Booh. Need to meet more people. I was all happy and stuff this morning too! Then I see the face of that cute guy from the Uni café, and suddenly I get all depressed and stuff. Crying dry tears. What's going on? Is it because he reminds me of Geoffrey? Does the memory of Geoffrey indeed haunt me so? Or do I make myself remember because I've been raised to think that it should?
. . .Interestingly enough, I've begun to type faster in English here than I usually did when I was in Toronto. Strange, isn't it? though I suddenly seem to be making a lot of typos and most of the speed seems to be my fingers lunging for the [backspace] button.
. . .So I have an interview this Friday for teaching English. Currently, this is pretty much my only hope at making any sort of money to buy nice things for myself. (Why can't I have nice things???? -- funny quote.)
. . .Apparently, I'm learning a lot of Chinese. I guess it all comes out of practice; reading more and speaking more really do have their merits. Go idioms. Argh. At least with English, we're allowed to pun, joke and abuse 'commonly accepted usage' for certain phrases. But apparently that's somewhat frowned upon here in Taiwan, and instead, they see such 'poor' usage of idioms to be the signs of a poorly educated or simply uneducated commoner. (well, maybe not as severe as 'commoner' but definately not literatus).
. . .Yarg. Need ability to walk up to random strangers and strike up conversations.

No comments: