2003/10/11

Idiom... Idiot... Hmm...

. . .K, so apparently, the new thing I was testing out with my hair wasn't such a great idea... Er Yi Ma said that it looked 奇奇怪怪 (Qi-qi-guai-guai). Ah well. Back to my boring bangs. ^^;
. . .Let's see... Friday, Octobre 10th was "Taiwan Day", when they celebrate the birth of the Republic of China (or the birth of the Guo Min Dang... either or ...)
. . .Learned more about my family history; apparently, my Grandmother personally knew Chiang Kai Shek, and was a personal secretary (of sorts) to him for over 20 years. I say 'of sorts' cuz she only handed letters and notes... or something like that.
. . .In the evening, after staying at home the entire day and cramming as many Chinese words as possible into my tired little mind, the benevolent 世偉 rescued me from sure death and brought me out to some downtown-ish area. This was about from 6:15pm 'til around 10:15pm. It was a good evening; got to chat lots, did a little window shopping, saw some clothes I might want to buy later. Through this shopping, I also discovered that it's really hard for me to imagine what looks good on other people cuz I seem to only know what would suit me... =/
. . .I love how people here don't know how to read me cuz they don't really know if I am Chinese or just CBC. Which is to say, they take me for a foreigner and therefore refuse to think of me as Chinese. Or Asian. At all.
. . .lalala... Well, whether or not I'm honestly learning 50-100 words a day, I'm definately learning something, since I'm gradually picking up more and more of what people say. (yay!) Who knew that something picked out of a textbook would actually be applicable in real life?
. . .Another thing is that apparently, I'm borrowing a bit too many Cantonese phrases into my Mandarin... ... so for things like "how much", "how many", "how long" all sound 'awkward' in Mandarin. ... though they understand what I mean to say, they find it unnatural and foreign. (as in, they instantly know I'm not local.)
. . .Also, they can't seem to stand me trying to use higher/harder phrases. Though it'd be a waste of time for me to explain to them my own personal theories regarding language acquisition. The real trick is to discover what I understand of the English language to be 'universal linguistic truth'.
. . .So yah. Yesterday was good. This morning... ... had some more food at home, and crammed a few more words into that tiny little brain of mine. Never know when the term 'teammate' will come in handy... ... though I've learned long ago (in Japanese) that it only beneficial to learn as many words as possible, regardless of it's seeming face-value or attraction.
. . .e.g. two hours after learning all these political terms and stuff (like 'politics', 'election', 'prime minister', etc.) my uncle-in-law starts talking to me about the mess of Taiwanese politics. I'm inwardly thinking, "whoa... ... it's actually useful."
. . .Now I'm counting the minutes before I have to run for my language exchange at 2:00. Better cram in a few more words... (whee... go vocab! I wonder how to say "and even then, ~~" in Mandarin.

No comments: