2003/11/26

Perception and Bases

. . .And by bases, I mean a set of axis from which everything else (of one's personality, thinking, etc.) derives. Recent chain of events have got me rethinking something I once was traumatized over.
. . .Apparently, most guys (whom I've met) treat guys and girls differently, as if there's some sort of fundamental difference between them. Now, I'm not saying that we're the same, but to imply that one's personal and emotional development and status is largely dictated by one's hormones is rather erroneous.
. . .I totally don't understand why anybody would treat the two genders differently. As I've mentioned before, it's almost as if it's because a guy sees another guy as either competition or college, while he sees a female as either enemy or interest. Such linear thinking is both unbecoming of the guy and everybody else who interacts with him. You'll notice that I'm condemning the male perspective because, in my experience, females tend to generalize less about these things.
. . .Anyways, why?!?! I totally don't understand it. I mean, when I meet people, I look at it from a personality/interest point of view. Do we share common interests or views? Do we both hate eating mushrooms and enjoy playing DDR? Do we both prefer elegance over colourful? (etc, etc.)
. . .The other thing I don't get is the whole emotion/feeling thing. I mean, how is it wrong for a guy to open up and "bear his soul" to another guy? But something about being a 'real' man. Can't cry ever. Unless it REALLY hurt. And you're alone. Both conditions must be met. (paraphrased quote from Mr. McPherson -- head of English at DMCI.) But what's up with that? I mean, if I can't connect with a guy on an emotional/personal level, how exactly am I friends with this guy? What kind of friendship would this be? And for this reason, I think is probably why I'm able to maintain my friendships with females more than males. And interesting enough, it wasn't until recently that I just realized that this was the case -- I used to always figure that the male-to-female ratio was about even.
. . .But apparently, among guys who aren't too open about sharing feelings/thoughts with other guys, there's some sort of unwritten agreement. They maintain their superficial, superfluous interactions, discussing the most immaterial, trivial matters to serve as a medium for 'bonding'. Making vulgar jokes about sex, beer and sports. (and yes, I'm generalizing right now as well. I have an image of the average college American in my head right now...)
. . .But then again, that's me. I guess guys like to take these things in unnecessarily small steps. I like to jump straight into the heart of the matter and figure things out thoroughly -- whether or not I'm able to substain a friendship with any given individual.
. . .And sadly, this is probably the reason why most guys tend not to be very close with me; they're not too keen on talking about feelings, thoughts, etc. And now that I'm going back to Waterloo, where they're not even aware they have feelings............................. Oi...

No comments: